Los Angeles Homicide Lawyers
There is no more serious charge in the California penal code than that of taking the life of another human being. In most circumstances, a conviction means a long prison sentence. Some cases can result in the death penalty. Our Los Angeles homicide lawyer strives to provide personalized attention and aggressive counsel. We will carefully review all the evidence, explain a defendant’s rights under the law, and fight to ensure they receive a fair trial. Above all, we believe in our clients, even those who may have been abandoned by those closest to them.
Saffari Law Group offers attorneys with over 18 years of experience fighting criminal defense charges, including homicide and we’ve built up a track record of success that clients can rely on.
Call today at (310) 341-7970 or reach out here online to set up a consultation.
The Penalties for Murder in California
The exact sentencing guidelines depend on what specific murder charges was filed by the District Attorney’s office. What’s important to understand is that California law, still unfortunately harsh in nature, has several ways that sentences can be made even more severe, beyond the basic prison term guidelines provided in the penal code. For example:
- The state of California still uses “Three Strikes” sentencing enhancement. This means there are certain crimes, of which homicide is one, where if it constitutes a defendant’s third conviction, the judge is obliged to issue a sentence of no less than 25 years in prison and perhaps a lifetime behind bars. This includes cases ,which does include certain homicide charges, where the standard sentencing guidelines may otherwise be less than that.
- Prison sentences can also be enhanced by other factors, including involvement in gang activity, hate crimes, injuring the elderly, or using a firearm or other dangerous weapon.
- Even upon release or parole, a convicted defendant may still see their rights curtailed. This includes a loss of gun rights, professional licensing, child custody, and perhaps a mandate to make restitution to the victim’s family.
Facing charges from the District Attorney’s office can be a scary time. At Saffari Law Group, we understand how to navigate the process and protect our clients.
Call our Los Angeles homicide attorney today at (310) 341-7970 or just fill out our online contact form, and let’s set up a free consultation.
Defenses Against Murder Charges
Every case is different. That’s just one reason why Saffari Law Group is committed to treating every client like they’re the only one that comes through our doors. We’re structured so as to be able to give each case the intensely personal attention it deserves. The defense strategy our clients are relying on to protect their freedom will be shaped by what’s found in our diligent investigative process.
That said, there are some general defenses that are often available to lawyers, including the following:
- The most basic defense is simply that the prosecutor has failed to meet their burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
- The defendant was acting in self-defense, either of themselves or someone else.
- In cases where the evidence is aligned against our client, there can be other defense strategies aimed at lesser charges. A defendant lacked mental capacity to understand the gravity of the crime. Or, perhaps, a homicidal act was planned (a crime in of itself) but not carried out.
We discuss all available defense strategies with our clients in light of the specifics in each case.